|dc.description.abstract||Nowadays, where markets are becoming extremely demanding and competitive there is a need for project success. What is more, there is a need for someone who will be able to lead the process of the project, a leader, a project manager or someone special with the most appropriate skills. The main purpose of this research is to addresses the importance and key role of leadership in project management. Some of the objectives of this thesis are to define the leadership styles in
construction projects and to explore successful methodologies for project management. Especially, factors, such as time, budget and quality will be discussed. Importantly, another aim of this dissertation is to appraise the involvement degree of young engineers on project management. More especially, the below research questions will be tested:
Do project managers need to have leadership qualifications?
Do project managers in Cyprus have leadership qualifications?
Which leadership style is employed in engineering companies in Cyprus?
Do project managers in Cyprus use a specific project management
Who can be a successful leader/ project manager? What are the skills for a
successful leader/project manager?
Are young engineers involved in project management?
The research methodology used in this thesis consists of two parts: the literature
review, which is the theoretical section and the questionnaires analysis which is the
empirical section. The theoretical research focused on a considerable amount of
background knowledge from books and academic journals, focusing on successful
project management and leadership styles. However, the major research is then
based on questionnaire analysis. The people answered the questionnaires included
project managers, leaders and employees in the engineering industry. The most important findings of the study include the following:
1. The relationship between project management and young engineers
involvement is positive and significant.
2. The owner of the company is usually the project manager and the leader as
3. There is not a specific project management methodology on engineering
4. Leadership is necessary on project management and a key factor for project
5. Training is important for people who wish to become a successful leader.
6. Although leaders haven’t been trained on leadership subjects their leadership
actions are characterized by the initiating structure and consideration
7. Successful conflict management styles are established in the majority of
8. Engineers are lucking innovation and productivity
This research will provide a clearer understanding of the concept of successful
project management and leadership in projects. Finally, the study concludes with
recommendations for future research especially for young engineers involved in such